Happy Friday y’all!! Here in Louisiana, it is a frigid 28 degrees, pretty much the coldest it ever gets here!! I’m nestled up on the couch with my warmest blanket and hot tea still trying to give the back a rest. If you live here and say you aren’t eating gumbo at some point today, I’m going to assume you are lying. ; ) I’m so excited to have fellow South Louisiana girl, Lesley of Lesley Picard Photography talking fashion today. Truth be told, I’m not the most fashionable girl. I buy for comfort and I also don’t get too excited about fancy brands (unless Gap and Target are fancy). I LOVE Lesley’s perspective on fashion without breaking the bank. Her instagram is chockfull of inspiration. Take it away Lesley!!
Hi everyone! I am so excited to be sharing some wardrobe tips for the lovely readers of Val’s blog! Here are a few simple ways to make the most of your current wardrobe and accessories:
1. Look to Pinterest and Fashion blogs for outfit inspiration. You might have never thought to pair that baseball tee with polka dot denim skinnies, but you love the look on a fellow fashionista!
2. Organize your closet by type of clothing. I normally place all “like types” together. Shorts, Skirts, denim, pants, dresses, tanks, short sleeve shirts, long sleeve shirts and sweaters. By rotating different sets of items from the front to back of your closet (based on the season), you can have easy access to those items you are currently wearing. This also helps to analyze your wardrobe and make conscious purchases when you can see the items your closet is lacking.
3. Make sure accessories are displayed where you can see them. If you don’t remember you have it, you can’t utilize it. This is actually a concept for fridge/pantry items to keep from having expired food, but it can easily be applied to accessories as well! I am always on the hunt for nice clear acrylic cases from TJ Maxx and The Container Store. They help keep you organized, while being a sheik way to display your favorite items!
4. If you haven’t worn something in a year or two, Goodwill it! It’s hard to part with clothing, but it doesn’t benefit you to have 3 pairs of the same black pants that you know you won’t likely wear again! Other great places to donate clothing are local shelters, church organizations, Red Cross and Salvation Army.
2020 Yearly Prayer Journal
FIND FOCUS. ELIMINATE DISTRACTIONS. EXPERIENCE GOD.
No more waiting! It's in the shop now!
5. Lastly, but most importantly…be confident in your outfit! Rock that baseball tee with polka dot skinnies and you just might inspire someone else’s fashion choices!
Now that you have some basic tips and tricks, here are the five main pieces I think everyone should have in their wardrobe:
Pair of dark denim skinny jeans
Classic white tee
Statement necklace (my personal favorite!)
I always tend to stick to the basics and incorporate one trendy item into the mix. While you want to spend the majority of your money on the essentials (which will last throughout the years), there are plenty of places you can shop trendy pieces without breaking the bank! Some of my favorite places to shop for these items are Forever 21, Zara, H&M and Target.
In this age of technology and social networking, I often get most of my pieces through references on Instagram and Facebook. It’s amazing how word of mouth can connect you with some of the coolest designers and shops. Lastly, but most importantly, BUY LOCAL! There are so many amazing shops and people in our great town of Lafayette as well as where you live. It not only helps our community, but is great way to meet others!
I hope this article has inspired you to rethink your wardrobe. Please follow me on Pinterest and Instagram @lesleypicard for more tips and tricks!
This post is a part of the FRESH START series. A three-week series to get you ready for 2014. Each week will have a different theme, mind, home and body.
Intro | Goal Making | Using the Powersheets | Become a Reader | A Morning Ritual | Creating White Space | An Inspiring Space | Contentment Challenge | Managing Finances | Breathing Easy | Get Moving | Get Juicing | Skin & Hair Recharge