This year is going to be different.
Every year, I have big goals, but every year, it’s still been about me essentially. And don’t get me wrong, I’ve still got goals (which I’ll be sharing tomorrow!) that obviously benefit me. But my overall hope for 2016 is to get small.
- To think less about myself and more about others.
- To give generously, not just when it’s easy.
- To live life a little simpler and a little slower finding delight more in fresh cherries than big adventures.
- To live like every part of me believes VMP is God’s business, not mine and point others to Jesus, not to myself.
- To live a life of peace because I know God is in control and that God doesn’t need my help manipulating my future.
- To feel confidant saying “no” when I need to say “no” humbling knowing the weight of the world is not on my shoulders.
- To be OK with a softer voice on social media and be more prayerful before I share about my motives for sharing.
That last thought has been a big point of contention for me recently. Comparison has gripped me. I have been focused on the sales, comments, likes, followers and ultimately how it all compares to others. The reality is, it’s exhausting and discouraging. It doesn’t give me peace or joy. When I have found moments to humble myself and not focus on growing MY own kingdom, peace and joy are there. Can you imagine that being a lifestyle?
That’s my hope for 2016. To cultivate a spirit of smallness.
This doesn’t mean I want my business to shrink or to become insecure. It just means I am AOK with a quiet life and desire less for everyone to see ME and desire more for people to see Jesus.
Our pastor shared a sermon a few weeks ago talking about the attributes of Jesus. One was humble and because of that he said “I don’t have to obsess over my position or status.” God doesn’t care about my position which has me asking myself, why do I care so much about my position or status?
I am thrilled for this year and how this simple word has already changed my thoughts the last few weeks. I originally planned for my word to be SUSTAINABLE which might make more sense tomorrow when I share my overall goals but felt a tug at this work SMALL. It seemed weird to be a word for the year especially during this season of making goals and dreaming BIG things but I’m finding my dreams don’t require me to be bigger, but God to be! 🙂
Have you picked a word for 2016?? I would LOVE to hear it!!
Goal Setting Series:
2020 Yearly Prayer Journal
FIND FOCUS. ELIMINATE DISTRACTIONS. EXPERIENCE GOD.
No more waiting! It's in the shop now!
And don’t forget to check out Natalie’s goal setting series too!!