Kicking off a three-week series on praying for others last week, we introduced the concept of intercession or praying for others. Most of us find our way to prayer by praying for our own needs, but the Lord wants to partner with us in prayer as we lift up the needs of others.**Grabbed your prayer journal for 2022? They're available now in our shop! **
Ep. 47: Intercession with Jodie Berndt
Author, Jodie Berndt, helps us introduce the subject of intercession that we’ll be exploring for the next two weeks. Listen in for inspiration from Jodie’s own life experiences as well as practical tips on standing in the gap for others.
Jodie Berndt is a popular speaker and the author of ten books, including the bestselling Praying the Scriptures series for Children, Teens, and Adult Children. Jodie has been a guest on shows like Focus on the Family, The 700 Club, and the Don’t Mom Alone podcast, and her writing has been featured on Fox News, Proverbs 31 Ministries, and in several family and parenting magazines.
A former television producer and on-air personality, Jodie has been married to her UVA sweetheart, Robbie, for 35 years. They have four adult children and live in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Jodie's Website | Jodie's Instagram
Highlights from today’s episode:
- [5:15] Jodie’s current prayer routine
- [11:19] What is intercessory prayer?
- [13:04] What’s possible when we pray beyond ourselves
- [20:45] How to let someone know you’re praying for them
- [22:55] Asking others to pray for you
- [29:30] An answered prayer from Jodie’s life
- [36:54] A time when God said no in Jodie’s life
- [42:35] How prayer was modeled for Jodie
- [47:45] How Jodie hopes to grow her prayer life
Things mentioned in today’s episode:
- Praying the Scriptures book series by Jodie Berndt
- Printable prayer calendars by Jodie Berndt
- Prayer Journal by Val Marie Paper
- Moms in Prayer
- Pray Confidently and Consistently by Valerie Woerner
- Prayer by Timothy Keller
Ep. 48: How to be an intercessor
If I asked you how much of your prayer time was devoted to prayers for others, would you feel timid to answer?
The reality is, many of us are very good at coming to the Lord in prayer. After all. We have so many personal needs that we can think of with barely a thought. But pray for others? That seems a bit more difficult.
In this episode, we’re breaking down about 4 burdens we need to have as an intercessor and 4 practical ways to start praying for others!
Things mentioned in today’s episode:
- The Blog at Val Marie Paper
Ep. 49: A Prayer for Intercession
It’s easy to make our prayer time all about ourselves. With this prayer, we’re opening ourselves up to however God may want to use us to pray for others.
- Lift up the things on your mind that make it hard to pray for others.
- Ask God for a burden for someone today.
- Confess anyone you haven’t forgiven and lift up a prayer for them.
- Praise God for the opportunity to pray for others.
If you enjoyed this prayer, it has been adapted from my book Springboard Prayers. If you were encouraged by it and would like 124 other prayers to read when you don’t have the words, grab a copy at valmariepaper.com.
Want a journal designed to help you focus in prayer?
Try our monthly format designed to be filled out once at the beginning of the month really intentionally. Then you can pick up daily to pray over several things on your list! Check out our brand new linen journals in the shop now!
Val’s new book on prayer is now available!
Go to valmariepaper.com/pray to order Pray Confidently and Consistently, get our no-fail leader’s guide and more!
Enjoying Prayer in a Noisy World? We'd be so grateful if you'd leave us a review and help others know that prayer is possible!