In our three-week series on praying for others, this week we are covering praying for your spouse. We might know we ought to do this, but this week we’ll discuss why, how and give you an opportunity to get started right away!**Grabbed your prayer journal for 2022? They're available now in our shop! **
Ep. 50: Praying for Your Spouse with Lisa Jacobson
This interview with author, Lisa Jacobson, will bring a new awareness to the importance of praying for your spouse and give you some inspiration for what to pray for and how to get started. We also get a glimpse into Lisa’s personal prayer life, hearing about her personal routine and how she’s seen God at work as she prays. Listen to the end for bonus encouragement on modeling prayer for our children.
Lisa Jacobson is an author, a podcaster, and the founder of Club31Women.com, an online community of Christian women authors who write on marriage, home, family, and faith--a powerful voice for biblical womanhood. She is the author of the bestselling 100 Ways to Love Your Husband and co-author of the new release, The Flirtation Experiment. Lisa and her husband, Matt, are also cohosts of the popular FAITHFUL LIFE podcast. They live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest where they have enjoyed raising their eight children.
Highlights from today’s episode:
- [2:20] Lisa’s current prayer routine
- [6:00] How Lisa prays for her husband
- [7:50] How do you pray God’s will, not your own?
- [10:00] A small way to get started praying for your spouse
- [12:45] How Lisa has seen God at work in her husband’s life
- [14:09] When your spouse isn’t a believer
- [16:11] A biggest “no” Lisa has received in prayer
- [20:30] How prayer was modeled for Lisa + modeling for others
- [30:00] How Lisa longs to keep growing her prayer life
Things mentioned in today’s episode:
Ep. 51: How to Pray for Your Spouse
What if there was one thing you could do today, that would take just a few minutes, that would have an eternal impact on your spouse and your marriage, would you do it??
I think we’d all say a resounding yes, but intentionally praying for our spouses is something that easily falls through the cracks of our overflowing days.
In this episode, I want to share a few reasons we can’t accept that excuse anymore.
Things mentioned in today’s episode:
Famous in Heaven and at Home by Michelle Myers
Ep. 52: A Prayer for Your Spouse
Praying for our spouse might be the single most important thing you can do for them! Here is a short, guided prayer to get started.
- Confess any ways you seek satisfaction from your spouse that can only come from God.
- Ask God for wisdom to know when to speak, what to speak and how to speak.
- Acknowledge any wounds that still need healing and pray for a heart of forgiveness.
- Praise God for how he has knit y’all as one and get excited for how God can use y’all together for his kingdom.
If you enjoyed this prayer, it has been adapted from my book Springboard Prayers. If you were encouraged by it and would like 124 other prayers to read when you don’t have the words, grab a copy at valmariepaper.com.
Want a journal designed to help you focus in prayer?
Try our monthly format designed to be filled out once at the beginning of the month really intentionally. Then you can pick up daily to pray over several things on your list! Check out our brand new linen journals in the shop now!
Val’s new book on prayer is now available!
Go to valmariepaper.com/pray to order Pray Confidently and Consistently, get our no-fail leader’s guide and more!
Enjoying Prayer in a Noisy World? We'd be so grateful if you'd leave us a review and help others know that prayer is possible!