To make our work an act of worship to the Lord seeking HIM as our source of creativity and vision thereby removing all the comparison, insecurities and competition with others.
1. Because there is a difference between good and called. What I do matters little if it’s not what God is calling me to do. Those usual measurables of sales, fan or success don’t actually matter in the kingdom of God. If I have all the success in the world, but am not seeking His plan for my life, I’ve missed it. This truth eliminates my competition completely and frees me from jealousy and pride.
2. Because we view our businesses as a tool God can use for HIS kingdom, not our own, when we release control to Him.
3. Because building my own kingdom produces icky spots in my heart and gets in the way of all the potential God has in using my business.
1. I commit to keeping my eyes on the Lord and asking Him to fill me with a vision for my business.
- Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gave be straight before you. Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure. – Proverbs 4:25-26
- I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 3:14
2. I commit to working for the Lord’s approval instead of man’s.
- Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. – Colossians 3:23
- Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not. – Galatians 1:10
3. I commit to allowing the Lord to create the blueprint for my business knowing the foundation HE builds will be a solid one.
- Unless the Lord builds a house, the work of the builders is wasted. – Psalm 127:1a
- Commit your work to the LORD, and your plans will be established. – Proverbs 16:3
4. I commit to working hard and not leaning too heavily on the work of others.
- Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and become a slave. – Proverbs 12:24
5. I commit to embracing the quietness of working on what the Lord has put before me and not seeking what others worked hard for.
- And to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one. – 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
6. I commit to having a teachable spirit that is sensitive so the Lord can reveal to me any areas that aren’t in line with His plan for my shop.
- My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding; he stores up sound wisdom for the upright; he is a shield to those who walk in integrity. – Proverbs 2:1-7
7. I commit to find my identity and worth in Christ and not in the things that I do or in numbers, sales, or followers.
- I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. – Galatians 2:20
8. I commit to be faithful in the little things and to create as an act of worship to my Maker.
- If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities. – Luke 16:10 (NLT)
- So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. – 1 Corinthians 10:31
9. I commit to champion my sisters in Christ, encourage them with my words and actions, and bless them as they follow Jesus and use their gifts for HIS glory.
- Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life. – Galatians 6:4-5 (MSG)
Download a PDF of the code here.
WHAT THE SHOP GIRL’S CODE IS NOT:
- The copy police. Our intent is not to focus on the negative or other shops.
- An exclusive club to join. We can spur each other on, but ultimately this is a commitment we each make with ourselves and God.
Leave a comment below letting us know you are joining and we will be praying for you and your business! We’ve also created a little graphic that you can display on your website letting customers know the heart behind your company and designs.
Before grabbing your badge, take some time to do a heart check. Download the Heart Check Worksheet here. We have all been there. We aren’t here to shame past mistakes. We are here to encourage us all to move forward with integrity and businesses that honor the Lord and point others to Christ.
ABOUT SHOP GIRL’S CODE:
This idea was birthed out of several conversations about business that Gretchen Saffles, of Life Lived Beautifully, and I had in the summer of 2015. We wrestled with this idea of creativity and glorifying God and felt an overwhelming calling to use our unique gifts and step out of the rat race that can cause comparison and so many insecurities and invite others to join us.
Handlettering by Caitlyn of Lettered Life
So SO SO excited for you and Gretchen and the many many women who will be challenged and helped in this area, including myself!! Praying for you and excited to see what God does through this incredible ministry.
I am so, so excited about the Shop Girls Code and am excited to print the code and post it by my desk. There is such a need for Kingdom-led creatives, and I’m so excited about the way this code will lead and guide women in a positive way! My businesses are Kelly Zugay, a life + style blog, and With Grace and Gold, a brand and web design studio! 🙂 Thanks so much for all you do!
Love the heart behind this so much! Grabbed the heart check worksheet, and will do some self-evaluation, and prayer to see what I need to refine. Thanks for the resource and encouragement.
Oh my gosh I LOVE this! Thank you for sharing this with us all. Can’t wait to dive deep into this.
This is so AWESOME
This is exciting. Thank you ladies. It is great to be in community with women with the same intention to encourage and learn. Amen. Amen
I’m in. Can’t wait to get involved.
What a great step in a great direction. This has been a HUGE thing I’m struggling with as I’m waiting to hear from the Lord on what is next in Christian business. Love the Scripture verses to go along with it!
Wow this is coming at a great time for me. Definitely joining in and can’t wait to work through the heart check later this week. I have some thoughts swirling and I may email you later with some questions/ask for your wisdom! xo
I have been thinking about how to model who I am through my shop – this is timely
Amazing things are happening with this post. We have not because we ask not. I believe every woman business can grow if we just come to the Lord in prayer and ask for the specifics instead of asking for things we want to happen. Cannot wait to see what he has in store for us Ladies. Happy Tuesday Ladies
I love this so much. As a new Etsy shop owner I so want to be in God’s will in all I do for the business, in particular the things He wants me to create and the direction my shop should take and how to advertise, run etc, this code will be such a help to me. Thanks so much to both of you and to our God who laid it on your hearts. Sharon x
Ladies, thank you for such a heart of service. I absolutely love everything about this and have truly been longing to find a group like this for some time. What a blessing to have a group of working women on fire for the Lord, spurring eachother onward to continue to doing kingdom work in His name! I have been praying with what direction He wants me to go in my business as it is growing and developing. I am absolutely in and looking forward to seeing what is ahead.
Thank you so much for writing this. I printed the code to post at my art work table. I am just beginning my creative business and I want it to glorify Him and not be about me. Thanks so much for supporting creative women and for your advice.
Thank you so much for penning the Shop Girl’s Code. I am in the midst of opening up shop and I believe coming across this was indeed a divine appointment with God. It serves as the perfect reminder that we have a much higher calling – our businesses can be used for God’s glory. As Emily Ley titled one of her e-books “Customer service is a ministry.”
This is a breath of fresh air! It’s so easy to loose focus, panic about sales, worry about promotion of goods etc etc but then I’m still, and remember God. He is my ‘Boss’ I answer to Him and need Him for everything. He governs my success, to Him be the glory! And then I feel the stress and competitiveness slide away! Thank you, this will be printed out and pinned in my studio.
This is beautiful. Thank you!
After reading the Shop Girls Code, I teared up. This is exactly what I need. Thank you tons! I know the Lord has given me a calling and I tend to get distracted by so much! I am so excited to be a part of your mission!
Oh my gosh Allyson! I am so touched!! 🙂
I’m so thrilled to have come across this. I’m on the brink of starting a business selling my art, and as a stay at home mom and wife, my first priority is always my family and taking care of them the way God wants me to. But over the last 10 years of this, I think I’ve put my own gifts and creativity (which bring a lot of joy to my life) on the back burner too much. As I seek to step forward and really use the gifts & passion I believe God has given me, I want to be very careful about how I build my business. I never want to step out of God’s will, and I only want to go in the direction He would have me go with this. The outside world seems to say “hustle hustle hustle til you make it”, but in my gut that just doesn’t sit well with me. I don’t mind working hard, but I will not choose to exhaust myself in striving and then give my family the messy leftovers. Thank you for your resources, this Shop Girl’s Code is exactly what I needed to keep me pointed in the right direction.
I am planning to develop a website this year, but for now, I am on IG @lindsey.g.thomas_art
Super fun and exciting to find you! I’ve just printed this for my shop planning and thank you for the encouragement. 🙂 Sometimes it’s super hard to run a business with the noise that tends to mask the blessings. Hope to meet you at Magnolia. I own a vintage paper and ephemera shop, and plan to attend!
Hi my name is Kathie. I’m excited to learn more about God and meeting new friends. ❤️ May God Bless All Of You
LOVE this so much! Thank you for sharing and allowing others to join in this walk.
I’ve just added the badge to my website and will be using my new prayer journal to pray through some of these heart check suggestions. thank you!
I love everything about this! So grateful to learn from other Kingdom women!!
I am joining and am SO excited. I am so grateful! Thank you Thank you Thank you! I am a Certified Sleep Consultant for Infants and Toddlers and Owner/Founder of Bedtime Babble!