Feeling distant from God is one of the most searched phrases on our website. Why? Because feeling distant from God feels off and even painful. This week we’re talking about the things that distance us and how to draw near to God.
But before we get practical in ways we can draw near to God, we’ll talk to Ruth Chou Simons about removing a lot of the expectations we place on ourselves before we come to God and getting comfortable with the idea of resting in Him, no striving required.
EP. 07 – Drawing Near to God with Ruth Chou Simons
Ruth Chou Simons is a Wall Street Journal bestselling and award-winning author of several books, including her newest book When Strivings Cease. She is an artist, entrepreneur, speaker and owner of the online shoppe GraceLaced. Ruth and her husband, Troy, are grateful parents to six boys. In today’s chat we talk about taking the pressure off of prayer and enjoying the presence of the Lord. Here’s our conversation.
Powered by RedCircle
EP. 08 – How to Close the Gap with God
Feeling distant from God. We’ve all felt it. It’s that dull ache we can’t totally explain. All we know is we don’t like it and we know the answer is drawing near to God again. Maybe you’re feeling it right now. You attempt to pray but it feels like there’s this wall. You wish you felt some emotion talking to God but instead, it just feels like talking to the ceiling. The door is closed. Window’s glued shut.
Well today, I want to share some tips to help close the gap with God so you can experience more intimacy with him.
Things mentioned in today’s episode:
- 6 Things That Distance from God
- Beginner’s Guide to Fasting
- Pray Confidently and Consistently – Val’s book includes a whole chapter on distance and one on fasting too!
Powered by RedCircle
EP. 09 – A Prayer for When God Feels Distant
Sometimes when we feel that distance between us and God, the hardest is part is simply starting a prayer. I pray this quick and simple prayer helps you enter into a sweet reinvigorated conversation with the Lord. In this prayer you’ll:
- Share why you desire to draw near
- Confess any sins causing separation
- Acknowledge the things grabbing your attention
- Commit practically to more time with Him
Rinse and repeat as needed when you long to draw nearer to God.
* James 4:8 – Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
* Psalm 63:7-8 – For you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.
* Psalm 139:1-6 – O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it.
* Psalm 139:5 – “You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.”
* Romans 8:39 – “nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Loving the idea of guided prayers? Check out Springboard Prayers, our book of 125 pre-written prayers for different circumstances!
Powered by RedCircle
Val’s new book on prayer releases October 12!
Pre-order 1 copy before release day and get the audio version for free. Pre-order 4 copies and get the free no-fail leader guide to lead a group through the book and launch an actual prayer group! Click here to order and get bonuses.
Want a journal designed to help you focus in prayer?
Try our monthly format designed to be filled out once at the beginning of the month really intentionally. Then you can pick up daily to pray over several things on your list! Check out our brand new linen journals in the shop now!
Enjoying Prayer in a Noisy World? We’d be so grateful if you’d leave us a review and help others know that prayer is possible!