Fun fact: My book The Finishing School started out as an idea for a journal on habits. (The final product was about 24 chapters basically on habits that I wanted to change related to prayer, distractions, self-control, Bible study, friendships, margin, joy and more). Suffice to say, I love habits and trying to figure out how to maximize my life with them. Not so life is boring, but so I can spend more time doing the things that are really important to me.
My goal, with the blog and Insty posts, our journals and books, is to help you CHANGE. To look a little more like Christ every day. We do that through meeting with Him intentionally through prayer and studying His word and also actively participating in our life. So today, we’re going to talk about how to finally create those habits that may seem mundane and maybe even too practical, but that exercise just how mighty God is transforming you.
First off, more structure isn’t a prison. Habits simply put the things we must do on autopilot. It not only frees us up to think of things that are more important but keeps that willpower in reserve, ready to be used on those things that will radically change our life. Think, expending energy saying yes to our kids on a really tough day because we didn’t spend all our energy remembering to take our vitamins, floss or have the mental battle of deciding whether to go to the gym.
If you’ve been around here long, you’ve heard me talk about habits. But after I read Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin, I was all abuzz for some habits I wanted to change and wanted to break it down more than I had before with the tools I learned.
I’ll keep this post short since I’ve got a ton of info in the actual worksheet for you to walk through. I’ll just share a few random points:
1. I can choose the hard things. I forget this way too much. It’s simply but I need the reminder.
2. Don’t get overconfident in the little victories. Instead, get confident in the God who worked through you to experience them. That way you can utilize that confidence in the hard moments too.
2020 Yearly Prayer Journal
FIND FOCUS. ELIMINATE DISTRACTIONS. EXPERIENCE GOD.
No more waiting! It's in the shop now!
3. Remember that what you do today matters. It adds up. It’s not about the cookie. It’s about the cookie that I say yes to every day. Gretchen Rubin says “Whether we choose to focus on the single coin or the growing heap will shape our behavior.”
- Try tracking habits in the Tally app on your phone.
- Check out these past posts on habits. Here and here. And we actually have two other worksheets in the library on habits.
- Pick up The Finishing School! It’s got a full chapter of content and a worksheet to work through based on the chapter. Order on Amazon and you can have in 2 days! 🙂
- And seriously, if one of the habits you want to change is praying more, that’s exactly why our Fresh Start journal was created! Check it out here!
- Powersheets – Track yearly, monthly goals and weekly and daily habits.