Welcome, welcome to one of our best loved posts of the year!! (By y’all, and me too! 🤓)
I LOVE finding new books to read almost as much as I love actually reading them! This year, I tied my books to the goals that I have for the year, so I’ve broken this list down into categories. One thing I remember that James Clear said in Atomic Habits is that part of changing our habits is becoming people who do the things we want to do. When I’m reading about something I’m working on, it’s ALWAYS motivating! (This is one reason I highly recommend reading Pray Confidently and Consistently if your goal is to pray more!) Not every book is perfectly suited for the goal, but “goal-adjacent” if you will. 🤓🤓🤓
Admittedly, there are not a lot of new books on this list because it’s bleak out there, y’all. So many books that looked interesting ended up not being theologically sound (in my humble opinion) as I did a bit of research on the content and author. See some more thoughts on this here.
Also, there are way more books than I will read this year, but I wanted to share the books I’ve got my eye on.
GOAL 1: Complete RTN Method
1. Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win – Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
2. Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life…And Maybe the World – Admiral William H. McRaven
3. Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time – Brian Tracy
4. Kiss That Frog!: 12 Great Ways to Turn Negatives into Positives in Your Life and Work – Brian Tracy and Christina Tracy Stein
Goal 2: Speak families love language
5. 5 Love Languages for Kids: The Secret to Loving Children Effectively – Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell
6. The Most Important Place on Earth: What a Christian Home Looks Like and How to Build One – Robert Wolgemuth
7. A Mom’s Guide to Lies Girls Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free – Dannah Gresh and Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth
8. Giving Your Words: The Lifegiving Power of a Verbal Home for Family Faith Formation – Sally and Clay Clarkson
9. Holy Hygge: Creating a Place for People to Gather and the Gospel to Grow – Jamie Erikson
Goal 3: Create Good Sleep Habits
10. Off the Clock: Feel Less Busy While Getting More Done – Laura Vanderkam
11. 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think – Laura Vanderkam
12. How to Keep House While Drowning: A Gentle Approach to Cleaning and Organizing – KC Davis LPC, Dr. Raquel Martin, et al.
GOAL 4: Do Contentment Challenge
13. How Much is Enough – Robert Skidelsky and Edward Skidelsky
GOAL 5: Reread 10 books that impacted me over the years
14. The Rest of God – Mark Buchanan
15. Save the Plums – Ruth Reichl
16. Fervent – Priscilla Shirer
17. Find Your People – Jennie Allen
18. What Happens When Women Pray – Evelyn Carol Christenson
19. An Unhurried Life – Alan Fadling
20. Soul Keeping – John Ortberg
21. The Beauty of Beholding God – Darien Cooper
22. Margin – Richard Swenson
23. Power of Full Engagement – Jim Loehr and Tony Schwartz
GOAL 7: Less complaining, more joy
24. Afraid of All The Things – Scarlet Hiltibidal
25. Does God Want Us to Be Happy?: The Case for Biblical Happiness – Randy Alcorn
26. The Year of Living Danishly – Helen Russell
27. Never Cast Out: How the Gospel Puts an End to the Story of Shame – Jasmine Holmes
28. Letting God of the Need to Be Right – Jeff Dollar and Danny Silk
29. Grumpy Mom Takes a Holiday – me!
30. The Cost of Control: Why We Crave It, the Anxiety It Gives Us, and the Real Power God Promises – Sharon Hodde Miller
GOAL 8: Pivot VMP
31. EOS Life – Gino Wickman
32. On Writing Well – William Zinsser
33. Think Lead Disrupt – Peter B. Nichol
34. Now Try Something Weirder – Michael Johnson
35. Win @ Work and Succeed at Life – Michael Hyatt and Megan Hyatt Miller
36. How to Win Friends and Influence People – Dale Carnegia
37. Friction: Passion Brands in the Age of Disruption – Jeff Rosenblum
38. Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind – Al Ries, Jack Trout, et al.
39. David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants – Malcolm Gladwell
40. The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference – Malcolm Gladwell
41. Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike – Phil Knight
42. 30 Days to Understanding the Bible: Unlock the Scriptures in 15 minutes a day – Max Anders
43. Literarily: How Understanding Bible Genres Transforms Bible Study – Kristie Anyabwile
44. Sensitive and Strong: A Guide for Highly Sensitive Persons and Those Who Love Them – Denise J. Hughes and Cheri Gregory
45. Discovering God through the Arts: How We Can Grow Closer to God by Appreciating Beauty & Creativity – Terry Glaspey
46. A Praying Church: Becoming a People of Hope in a Discouraging World – Paul E. Miller
47. How to Begin: Start Doing Something That Matters – Michael Bungay Stanier
48. A Still and Quiet Mind: Twelve Strategies for Changing Unwanted Thoughts – Esther Smith
49. A Supreme Love: The Music of Jazz and the Hope of the Gospel – William Edgar
50. Rembrandt is in the Wind: Learning to Love Art through the Eyes of Faith – Russ Ramsey
51. Every Woman a Theologian – Phylicia Masonheimer
51. A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God’s Sovereignty – Joni Erikson Tada
52. I Can’t Believe You Just Said That: Biblical Wisdom for Taming Your Child’s Tongue – Ginger Hubbard
53. Respectable Sins – Jerry Bridges
54. Boundaries with Kids – Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend
55. The Anti-Anxiety Diet: A Whole Body Program to Stop Racing Thoughts, Banish Worry and Live Panic-Free – Ali Miller
And if you’re looking for some more good books to add to your list, here are mine
The Finishing School
Grumpy Mom Takes a Holiday
Fresh Start for Moms
Pray Confidently and Consistently
Any pique your interest? What did I miss? What’s on your list of books to read this year?
The goal series may be finished, but the party’s not over!
JOIN US FOR THE RETRO PRAYER CHALLENGE!
The concept is simple, trade one hour a day on your phone for one hour in prayer. We’re joining together to unbury our best prayer life from all the distractions (especially screens!) in our way.
Sign up HERE + get a free sample of the challenge that starts in late January!
My 2023 Goals
My 2023 Word: Delight (in the process)
2022 Life Changers
What I read in 2022
2022 Goals Recap
2022 Answered Prayers